Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sewing Room?

Well, I guess that I should start blogging about sewing since it seems to be my obsession lately. I had an old 1940s Kenmore model sewing machine that I had a love hate relationship with, and while I did like the idea of sewing, it was more than frustrating to do it because the tension was variable, and I ended up ripping out more often than not.

I just wanted a new basic sewing machine that had forward, reverse and zig-zag. I went to look at the models and I was told at a dealer that no such machine existed. They wanted to sell me a $4,000 machine with all the bells and whistles. I was so intimidated that I left without a word. Last year, my dad bought me a brand new sewing machine. It was a Pfaff hobby. It was not the very bottom of the line, but not much more. It was not electronic but it had about 50 different stitches, a needle threader, knit stretch stitches and I thought I had a rocket ship compared to my old machine. I took the class in how to use the machine and went home hoping I could put it to use.

So for the last year, I have been teaching myself sewing all over again. I started with a simple handbag pattern and now I have made a whole bunch of handbags. Here are photos of a few I have done.

This was the latest bag I made. It is a carry all bag I made as a school bag for my neice. It is a Nicole Mallalieu pattern. It has an outside pocket, inside zip pocket, divider and 4 other pockets. Roomy enough for school books. It closes with a zipper and a magnetic flap.

I hope she likes the color, and I don't even know if she likes sailboats, but it was a fabric that I inherited from my mom's stash when we went to clean out the basement.

The pattern was an advanced bag pattern, and I have to thank Nicole because the instructions were very detailed and easy to follow. However, making the bag, I feel like my sewing skills have improved tenfold.

Here is one of the first bags I made: From a dollar store placemat, and I really didn't know what I was doing, but it turned out nice enough for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment